Introduction to Hand-Lettering
The ability to design successful wordmarks continues to be of vital importance for contemporary graphic designers. Consequently, effectively utilizing the expressive power of hand-lettering remains a valuable skill.
This general introductory session will provide a basic overview of hand-lettering. Referencing an assortment of letter styles, participants will build on various techniques as they create hand-drawn logos. An informative slide presentation, instructional demonstration and useful skill-building exercises will provide students with a practical foundation for making and implementing hand-lettering in various design contexts.
The following materials are required for the workshop and will be provided by AIGA Pittsburgh:
• No.2 pencils (conventional or mechanical)
• pencil sharpener, if applicable
• pad of tracing paper, at least 8.5″ x 11″
• Sharpie® Fine and Extra Fine markers
• adhesive tape or pins for posting sketches
• 12 inch ruler